Helping dental students learn on the move
The Medical Protection Society offer increased value to students
Client: Medical Protection Society
Develop a new marketing channel to attract and engage dental students as new customers, allowing for personalised marketing
Your Future, an Android and iPhone app that allows MPS to distribute valuable information to final year students and young dentists, to help them get through their final year and post-grad interviews
Graduate doctors and dentists must have insurance to practice. MPS are one of the UK’s leading providers, selling over £320M of professional insurance each year.
When attending student fayres, MPS give out USB sticks with essential information on them. This has been a fairly common practice for companies exhibiting at events.
The problem with USB sticks is they offer no means of tracking how often the materials are used. They are expensive to produce and there is no way to keep the contained articles and files up to date. They wanted to explore how mobile apps could replace their USB sticks, creating a solution that would be more useful to students.
They wanted to explore how mobile apps could replace their USB sticks, creating a solution that would be more useful to students.
The Your Future app is a pocket guide book for students in their final year. It contains usfeul information relating to passing exams and finding employment. MPS incentivises students to download the app at student fayres.
The app is integrated with their NetFinity content management system (CMS). This means marketing can push the latest content to students at any time. Updating content is low cost, and more importantly gives students a reason to keep returning to the app. Marketing can notify students when updates have happened, using the built-in push messaging. Messages can be sent en-masse all students, or just those with specific interests. The open rates for targeted and relevant push messages can be up to 85%.
Messages can be sent en-masse all students, or just those with specific interests. The open rates for targeted and relevant push messages can be up to 85%.
How the app was made
- MPS contacted Pocketworks to explaining their business goals around having an app
- Pocketworks explained how they could help, and gave a ballpark cost estimate
- Pocketworks attended a management meating at MPS offices to clarify goals, discuss strategy and execution
- Pocketworks discussed issues around security and integration with MPS IT
- Pocketworks designed solution ideas and proposed to MPS
- MPS and Pocketworks refined those ideas throughout the project
- Android and iPhone apps were designed, developed and launched to the store within 8 weeks