Position: Lead Designer
Pocketworks is a small Leeds mobile-first design & development company.
Why we need you
The team need a senior designer to lead customer interviews, facilitate Google Design Sprints (or similar), and develop HCI experiences that make users happy.
If you’re up for it, we’d also like you to make sure we’re always improving our design processes, and influence our design direction in business planning meetings.
If you join us, you’ll be designing digital products for a mixture of startups and established companies. The startup stuff is fun because you get to have a blank canvas, and potentially see the product grow. The established products are cool because you get to improve products used my 100,000+ users.
## Is this right for you?
You’ll be a great hit here if you:
- Have experience facilitating design workshops or Google Design Sprints
- Have experience in concept validation and user testing
- Enjoy designing for outcomes, and know about User Stories or even better, Jobs to be Done
- Have enough solutions experience to know how to tackle a wide variety of design challenges
- Don’t mind sharing your crappy lo-fi sketches or putting them on the walls to discuss
- Prefer to make decisions on data rather than heuristics. We do accept that gut feeling/left brain is also important.
- Love creating modern mobile and web experiences incorporating advances in browser and mobile technology.
- Like to set your own processes and influence those adopted by our team
- Have the energy to help us make design sprints and Scrum work together
- Have good visual polishing skills in Sketch or Photoshop or whatever. We know polish isn’t the be-all-and-end-all but we have a serious love of beautiful design here
- Open to conducting interviews and helping us grow the design team over time (nice to have)
- Learn constantly about your profession. Attend events. And like sharing stuff on Slack/Twitter whatever (nice to have)
- Have some web or mobile coding/prototyping skills would
beAwesome() (nice to have)
What to expect at Pocketworks
- Never work on your birthday again
- Quite a lot of holidays
- Use great tools (InVision, Sketch, big iMac, #insertyourstackhere, etc)
- Flexibility in your working hours, but please make the standup at 9:30am!
- Work from home when needed
- Family friendly. Many of us have kids. We know what it’s like.
- Be self managing. Go out and see clients and stuff without permission.
- Relaxed environment in city centre
- Regular team lunches (often at Trinity Kitchen)
- Friday beers (and sometimes Wednesday beers haha)
If so, we’d love to hear from you if this sounds good. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include…
- Why you like the sound of this role
- What you want to achieve in your career in the next 1-3 years
- Links to examples of your best thinking (ideally with some mobile and web)
- Links to examples of your best results (ideally with some mobile and web)
- A CV